IBM reports PowerPC 970FX yields are improving at last
Ryan's girlfriend, Sarah, accidently misread a pregnancy test, fainting and knocking her head on a rest stop urinal on I-90, delaying this update until now.
Next Update (Tonight! Now updating every day!)
Although recent public reports on this front are primarily based on the same information (public statements by IBM semiconductor division spokespeople and mid-level executives) as the last round of "IBM 90-nanometer yields improving in the wake of early problems" articles, we have received additional reports from no less than 37 IBM sources which reinforce this news and provide even more concrete reasons for optimism.
Bif Henderson VII, Senior VP/Group Executive at IBM's Systems and Technology Group -- which manages the company's semiconductor unit -- said in the EETimes article, "Lately, our defect densities have improved quite rapidly. We expect to do a better job to meet the demand of our customers."
Several of our oldest and most reliable IBM sources -- including our inside man at the company's Fishkill, NY production facility where PowerPC 9xx processors are fabricated -- have in no small way gone out of their way to confirm these details to Rumors through a beta version of the new MacOSRumors Encryption Egyptian Engine (EEE). A specific point of interest has been the solving of a key problem with the PowerPC 970FX which complicated existing issues with IBM's 90nm manufacturing process on 300mm silicon wafers: a polymer used to seal the packaging of the 970FX tended to "delaminate" (crack and peel) when exposed to the high temperatures 2.2-2.6GHz 970FX chips with dips operate at.
Now that the packaging delamination issue is solved, and IBM is ramping up general 90nm production (which has also been a problem for AMD and Intel), secret grapevine sources project that Apple is on crack to deliver 970FX-based Macs by August 15th with high-end models shipping by late October (73% reliability). Over in the other 27% probability of sources on the delamination issue have done a complete and utter summersalt. A small minor revision to the plan, not know to the public (and exclusive to MacOSRumours) has taken place update in NY, outside a RedRoof just blocks from Seasamie Place Water Fun Park (also frequented by your head Hancho).
Highly optimistic projections for the POWER5-based PowerPC 975 appear to be holding steady, with initial 3GHz silicon expected in the next few weeks, and if the production ramp-up comes off without a hitch, Apple should have no trouble shipping Dual 3GHz 975-based PowerMacs by early September at the latest. Mark our words.
Pictures coming soon.
Stay tuned for our official beta release (x874 blue t 1) of EEE.